Tuesday 19 October 2010

No, soap, I don't want to make 'ooh' noises as I rinse you off. But thanks for the suggestion.

Does anyone else remember those 'No Frills' cartons in the supermarket?

My shampoo just said thankyou!
This surely has to end.
Product personification
Is a weird, off-putting trend.

Smoothie, hey, it's nice to meet...
For fucks sake, Tesco's, think!
I only want a snack to eat,
Not take it for a drink.


I could go on naming every 'consumer friendly' item I've bought this week, but I think this will turn into a rant. It's easily done. When will someone bring out really unfriendly products? Like - narrated by Dylan Moran or Bill Hicks? Nothing particularly witty, just something like, "Drink milk - you might as well; everyone still hates you" or "Maybelline, you ugly wench".

I just got back from a gig in a tiny room in a turret in one of Newcastle's city walls, called Morden Tower. Alan Ginsberg has read there, as has Seamus Heaney, Ted Hughes and many others. It took me ages to find and I was stood outside the turret for 10 pathetic minutes as I heard the music drift out, but unable to find the entrance. You know those nights when you're sat with a small number of other people, just enjoying something really special? And you can hear sirens and people outside, but you feel safe and kinda smug that no one will disturb you...

Check out these bands if you like quirky folk music:
www.myspace.com/kateagerskow
www.myspace.com/wigsmith
www.myspace.com/dianecluck


Katie

1 comment:

  1. How does "Maybelline, you ugly wench" qualify as "nothing particularly witty"? That four word line alone is almost as good as the poem in the beginning of this post, which is to say *really good* ^^

    And by the way, because of our conversation the other day I'm no longer stuck in planning on my novel. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete