Saturday 16 October 2010

The Gloating Poem

This is what would be here, if I wasn't so damn moral. I'm not saying there won't be one in the future, though, I'm just reluctant to risk upsetting the associated innocent for the sake of one little poem. I know that it's all narrative voice, personas, fiction blah blah blah... but it's still based in reality and I am happy just to be smug in private at the moment.

Instead - here is a distractingly cute picture of my pet Degus and an accompanying poem that they feature in. I originally wrote it around the same time as 'Super Hero'. I've edited/improved it - the old one had more content, but it just didn't read right. Maybe it'll get sorted out in the future, but there's no point trying to force thought.



Extinct

The creature on my shoulder chirps and hums
I bring my arm up to him, and he comes.
He runs beside his brother, and they greet
Each other in language I don't know, upon my feet.

A species, without warning, is extinct
FRONT PAGE! and only now do people think,
'An undiscovered star, not known about
Will reveal its absence when it suddenly goes out.'

The creatures at my feet are not concerned -
Though it was by total accident I learned
Of their existence and location!
An interest in an animal that turned to fascination.

I wonder now what else I have to learn,
And interesting things I'll find in turn.
I wish we could return to simpler times
When our searching had a purpose;
We had so much left to find.

Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment